Sunday, November 23, 2008




New to this animation is some coloring and shading. I added a bit of shadows, which entailed making totally separate layers to remain under the objects (arms, legs, clouds, eggs) to which the shadows add depth. I used the Bamboo tablet again of course, this time making sure to use pressure variation to determine the width of my lines. Though the line weight had to remain constant for much of the objects and characters in the animation so far, I felt that it was appropriate to have some variation in line thickness in the shadowing. I went through, frame-by-frame, and gave myself an idea of the amount of time that it takes to color and shade much of the video. It was interesting. I feel like I will have quite a bit of time this coming week to expand on my ideas for adding depth which I developed over the past week. I intend to have one more minute of animation in addition to the minute or so that this iteration of the animation depicts.
I should also mention a stylistic approach that I took, to keep my hands from wearing out or spiralling into carpal tunnel syndrome- going over the animation bit by bit, not doing all of the shading for each frame altogether, but going through 90 frames or so only hitting the shading on the left. Then going back over those frames afterward and shading the right-hand side. And then going over those frames and shading with a darker gray. And then going over those frames and erasing a bit. It kept my motions as consistent as possible.
I do wonder if animators apply this same approach at times. We will see!
See you next time,
-Marshall

No comments: